Monday, January 17, 2011

Welcome to my blog!

I am an English major and this is my last semester as an undergrad (what a great feeling!). Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect from a course in Community Literacy and Service Learning, but my curiosity was sparked on the first day of class when Dr. Hara said that there are many ways to define literacy. I would like to learn about the different ways that literacy is defined and gaged and about what contributes to a lack of literacy within certain communities or people groups. I am looking forward to the Service Learning Project that I'll be able to do in this class. Being an English major, the past few years of my life have been filled with reading and writing, which I have loved, but I think it will also be fun to go out and get some "real world" experience related to what I have been studying.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Avery! As you are now realizing, there are many definitions of literacy, and those definitions can complicate our understanding. :-) I hope this is a good class for you to "go out on"!

    ReplyDelete